Create your first Menu
This quickstart guide helps you create a basic Auto-Attendant with a single Menu that plays all the time. For more complex auto-attendant needs, feel free to browse the other articles in this section. If you need assistance, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Video: Learn how to build your Menu
Watch this video to learn how to setup a basic menu in your RingRx system.
- Design your Menu scripts. Review menu script examples here
- Record your greeting and upload it to the Media Library. Instructions are here
I. Create an Auto Attendant
- Settings\Auto-Attendant, then select Add New Auto-Attendant button.
- Assign a Name for this Auto-Attendant and an Extension number. The name should be descriptive (e.g. “Main Office” or “Westside Clinic”). For the Extension number we suggest picking a number well outside of the range of your user extensions. E.g. if staff extensions are between 100-500, select 1000 or 2000 for your Auto-Attendant extension number.
- Select “Save”. Your new Auto-Attendant is created
II. Create your first Menu
- Settings\Auto-Attendant, then select the Auto-Attendant you just created in Step II.
- Select Create First Menu
- Assign a name for the Menu
- Assign the correct Media File for Greeting to Play (for instructions to create Media Files or Greetings, go here)
- Leave the remaining parameters alone unless there is a reason to change them. Click Save
- Now add your Action Items:
- Select your Menu (you should now see New Action link)
- Select New Action
- Under Digits, enter the number (e.g. Push “1” or push “2”, etc) you want to create an action for
- Under the Action dropdown, select the Action you want for the option
- Repeat adding actions until your menu is complete
III. Create the Schedule the Menu will play
- Settings\Auto-Attendant, then select the Auto-Attendant recently created. (You should see a “Add First Schedule” link)
- Select Add First Schedule
- Assign a name to the Schedule (e.g. “Office Hours”, “After Hours”, or “Always”)
- Point to the Menu you want activated during this Schedule
- Edit the Schedule parameters. (Refer to Auto-Attendant Schedule Manual for details of how the Schedule works)
You should now have a fully functioning Auto-Attendant with one Menu that plays all the time
IV. The final step is to point a phone number to this Auto-Attendant
- Go to https://portal.ringrx.com/settings/phone-numbers
- Find the number you want to point to the Auto-Attendant, Select Edit
- Select the dropdown next to Extension.
- Scroll down until you find the extension for the Auto-Attendant. Auto-Attendants are labeled “IVRs”.