Privacy Defender is a unique feature RingRx provides to help our customers minimize unwanted telemarketing and spam calls.
Privacy Defender works in conjunction with Call Reputation to provide a multi-layered approach to filtering spam and unwanted calls. This filtering is enabled on a per-user basis. Filtering works by identifying reputation scores of inbound callers, then presenting callers at the indicated level of risk with a challenge. The challenge requires callers to enter a two digit randomized number to prove they are human. Calls that fail the challenge will be redirected directly to voicemail. Calls that pass the test will be flagged and future calls will not be presented with a challenge again.
Call Reputation must be enabled on the account before Privacy Defender will work. Enabling Call Reputation is a no-cost service but must be enabled by RingRx support. Contact RingRx support at firstname.lastname@example.org to have this feature enabled.
To turn on Privacy Defender
1) Request RingRx support to Enable Call Reputation. Email support at email@example.com
2) Turn on Privacy Defender on the User
- Go to Settings\User\Edit\Extension Options
- Select the Privacy Defender dropdown
- Select the level of defense you want on this User. RingRx recommends starting at filter High Spam initially and then increasing the filter strength if too many calls are still getting through
The levels you can set this to are:
- DND: All calls are sent directly to voicemail.
- Contacts Only: Only callers in your personal contacts list will ring your phone. everyone else is sent to voicemail
- Filter All: All calls, regardless of spam likelihood will be filtered by the tele-captcha
- Filter Low Spam: Calls that are determined by Call Reputation to be Low likelihood of spam and higher will be filtered. No spam probability calls will not be filtered.
- Filter Med Spam: Calls that are determined by Call Reputation to be Medium likelihood and higher spam calls will be filtered. Low and No spam probability calls will not be filtered.
- Filter High Spam: Calls that are determined by Call Reputation to be High likelihood spam calls will be filtered. This will catch the least but has the fewest false positives as well.
Additionally there are two options for special number classes
Note: These options are not in the User portal but can be enabled by RingRx support. Contact RingRx support at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance)
Don’t Filter Invalid Telephone Numbers: If a number is not a valid phone number, we will automatically consider it as spam if Privacy Defender is enabled at all, and the call will be filtered by the Tele-Captcha. If you like, this behavior can be disabled by ticking this box.
Don’t Filter Toll-Free Telephone Numbers: Calls from Toll-Free numbers are by default treated as spam and are filtered by the Tele-Captcha if privacy defender is enabled at all. If you like, this behavior can be disabled by ticking this box.